If you have a job that requires you to send similar emails every day to different users, then it could be quite a tedious job. although you could create a template and save it in .doc format. then copy and paste the content of that doc file into gmail. but it would turn out to be quite a slow process especially when dealing with ms word and google chrome simultaneously. Being an HR recruiter, I had to face the same problem every day, until I discovered the canned response feature or templates in gmail.
This feature allows you to create several predefined templates that you could use when composing an email. It would definitely save you a lot of time and effort, especially if you like this type of work. so let’s take a look at how to get the most functionality out of this function. Please note that you can only enable it through the desktop version of Gmail. Also, while you’re here, don’t forget to check out the steps to unsend emails in gmail.
configure templates or canned responses in gmail
- Log in to your Gmail account using a desktop browser.
- Tap on the gear icon to open the menu.
- Now select See all settings from the drop-down list.
- Go to the Advanced option.
- Enable the Templates option from there.
- Scroll down all the way to the bottom and tap on Save changes.
Now, head over to the next section and check out the instructions on how to create and use canned responses in gmail. Also, if you want a more secure Gmail experience, take a look at the steps to enable two-step verification in Gmail.
create a canned email
- Open Gmail on your desktop and tap on Compose mail.
- Now you will need to create your first canned response that can be used for future references. Although the body of the mail could be the same, some places need to be customized. For example, I kept the name of the applicant and his applied job section empty. This is because different aspirants will have different names and will apply for different positions. You could place a dash next to all such fields (see below image for reference).
- Once you have typed the canned response in Gmail, tap on the three vertical dots to the left of the bin.
- Now select Templates > Save Draft as template > Save as new template. Also, check out the new Gmail web interface and its features.
- Give this template a name and tap on Save.
- That’s it. You have just created a new canned response or template in Gmail. You could create as many such templates as you wish. Just write the content of the response and carry out Steps 3-5.
- If you wish to insert any of those templates, simply tap on Compose mail > Canned Response > Chose the desired template from the Insert Template section.
- Subsequently, the option of deleting them could again be found under the same section.
This concludes the guide on how to create templates or canned responses in gmail. If you had any issues setting up standard email or creating a new standard reply, please let us know in the comments section below.
read next: how to restore deleted google contacts on android